The History of Gasthof zur Post

The History of Gasthof zur Post

It is actually one of the oldest buildings in the entire area, its structure massive and sturdy. The granite gated arch displays a wheel - the coat-of-arms of Radstadt, the town which owned this house for almost 170 years.

The spacious "Roman Hall" served as a storage room for the coach drivers as well as the mine industry, which would deliver ore from Seekar to Obertauern.

The first report of a tavern in Untertauern dates from the year 1466 in which, on 17 June of that year, archbishop Bernhard orders the taverns  "auf der Eben" and "unter dem Thauern", which had long been in a dispute with Radstadt, to "purchase all wine and bread in Radstadt and tend to all guests in appropriate fashion“.

From the earliest days, the building has had the character of a typical "Tauern house". In the spacious stables, the wagon drivers would tend to their oxen and horses. Archbishop Sigmund von Schrattenbach had the post-station built in 1764, The post office came in 1872, the telegraph office in 1897 and, in 1911, the public telephone office. Passenger service, which the postal service had maintained for hundreds of years by means of its relay, express and post coaches, was replaced in 1920 with the advent of motorized postal vehicles.

 

Since 1844 the "Post" has been owned by the Kohlmayr family. Despite lots of remodeling and renovation work, painstaking attention has always been paid to insuring that none of the "old values" or the traditional flavor were lost.

The vaulted ceilings of the "Roman Hall" and the romantic "Alte Stube" are partially preserved in their original form, while many loving details contribute to making you feel completely at home.

"Die Tafern unterm Thauern"

 
 
 

The "Post" back in the day...

 
 

...and now

 
 

"Modern comfort, but always taking into consideration the old values" -
we follow this principle since generations.
The following pictures give the change of the former post office to the "post" as we know it today.

The slide show ist fast motion:

1978
Major overhaul of the rooms and the facade, relocation of the main entrance (original - listed building)

1988
Installation of new "studio"-doubles and part 1 of the spa

2006
Installation of new playgrounds and recreational facilities, including the postilion-room bar and of course the adaptation of the wine cellar

2010
Major overhaul of the rooms in the main house

2012
Renovation of our apartments "Hakopf"

2015
Major overhaul of our apartments "Gaisstein"

2017
Renovation of the terrace rooms in the main house

2019
Renovation of the bathrooms and WC's in our studio rooms
Redesign of our wellness area

 
 

2016
Our daughter´s birth

 
 

Kohlmayr family | Dorfstraße 22, A-5561 Untertauern | +43 6455 238, nfkhlmyrcm

Holiday request Arrival day   Departure day  

Data Privacy Policy

This website uses the following external components: maps, videos, analysis tools, Hotel ratings, Arrival information, Room vacancies and information about the holiday region which use cookies to collect information about your behavior and help to optimize the website.
Privacy Policy     Imprint